We have significant experience in insurance and reinsurance disputes involving rigs and energy facilities, including hull, P&I, builders’ risks, CAR, property, business interruption, pollution and general liability, including professional negligence. The members of our team have acted widely in platform, refinery and storage facility design, construction and repair claims. We have full capability to act in pipeline damage disputes, control of well head claims and delay in start up claims. Our energy experience also extends to the power and mining sectors. We handle not only coverage disputes but also subrogation and defence of liability claims.
Insurance coverage issues on which members of the team have recently advised include oil pipeline losses in Colombia, machinery breakdown at a power plant in Antigua, electrical failures in a SAG mill and related BI losses at a major copper mine in Peru, significant BI losses arising from floods causing wide area damage across several coal mines in Queensland Australia and issues arising from the massive tailings dam failure at the Samarco iron ore mine in Brazil.
Members of our team have been involved in many of the larger oil pollution, rig and mining casualties and disputes including the following:-
- Acting for the charterers of the “AEGEAN SEA” in claims arising from the loss of the vessel off Spain, the loss of her oil cargo and consequent pollution.
- Acting for underwriters in relation to pipeline damage in the “MARION” case.
- Acting in claims relating to pipeline damage in the “PAPILLON”/”BUTTERFLY” and “CORNELIS SIMON” cases.
- Acting for reinsurers in relation to property and business interruption claims arising from a dyke collapse in Brazil and a tunnel collapse in Chile.
- Acting in a multimillion dollar dispute involving the design and construction of an FPSO and attendant business interruption claims.