We are well respected in the aviation field, having significant expertise in this area. This includes a major involvement in the landmark Kuwait Airways case where we acted on behalf of Kuwait Airways in their 1990 Gulf War insurance claims for lost aircraft and spares, amounting to some US$450m of coverage and which was determined in the House of Lords. Since then, we have had involvements in a significant number of casualties and losses involving jurisdictions worldwide. We have handled the liability claims arising, including product liability for aircraft and component manufacturers, and personal injury or death in respect of passengers and crew. We have advised on coverage issues for hull, all risks, war risks and liabilities. We also have experience in handling air cargo claims under the Warsaw and Montreal conventions. On the non-contentious side, we have carried out reviews and negotiations of aircraft sale and purchase contracts, including financing arrangements.
Members of our team have been involved in many aviation losses worldwide, usually on behalf of underwriters, including the following:-
- Acting for Kuwait Airways, in respect of the loss of aircraft and spares in the 1990 Gulf War.
- Acting for all risks underwriters in relation to the loss of a helicopter in Scandinavia, including death and personal injury claims.
- Representing liability underwriters in product liability claims for helicopter manufacturers in South America.
- Representing underwriters in relation to a collision on the ground between two aircraft in Brazil.
- Representing war risks underwriters in relation to a hangar fire.
- Representing war risks underwriters in relation to the confiscation of an aircraft in West Africa.
- Acting for liability underwriters following the loss of a helicopter offshore in Latin America, including death claims.
- Representing cargo insurers in relation to shortage claims in Venezuela.
- Representing liability underwriters following loss of life in a helicopter accident in South East Asia.
- Acting for reinsurers in airline retro-penalty premium reinsurance disputes.